Monday, November 7, 2011

Grandma's Buttermilk Cornbread

      The weather is quite chilly here which puts me in the mood for some comfort food. High on the list for me is soup. Tonight I made a huge (hubby said it could feed the neighborhood) pot of chili. I know some people like cinnamon rolls or PB&J with chili, but for me the only complement to a spicy bowl of chili is cornbread! I've tried several recipes and this one is hands down the best.

      This recipe makes a 9"x 13" pan, but can be halved the fill an 8"x8" pan.
You will need:
  • 1 C Butter
  • 1 1/3 C Sugar
  • 4 Eggs
  • 2 C Buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 2 C Cornmeal
  • 2 C Flour
  • 1 Tsp Salt

Preheat the oven to 375°.  Melt butter in a large skillet.
Remove from the heat and mix in the sugar and eggs.


 Stir until well blended. Then mix the baking soda with the butter milk and add to the skillet.


 Stir until well incorporated.

 Add corn meal, flour and salt. Mix until there are few lumps left.
Pour into a greased pan and bake for 30-40 min.
Enjoy with a piping hot bowl of chili. I like to put a little butter and honey on mine.

Click here for a Printable Recipe Card

No comments:

Post a Comment