Saturday, July 28, 2012

DIY Decorated Onesies

We have been busy over in the Mayhem household. Getting things ready for the baby, traveling, and having out of town guests. One of the best things that happened this month was I had my first baby shower! It was organized by my cousins and sisters and it was held in a small lake community in Northwest Iowa called Okoboji. My family has had a cabin there as long as I can remember, and I love it up there. It was the perfect place for my little man's shower. :-) (My bridal shower was there, Mr. Mayhem and I were married there!)

The hostesses know me so well and knew that there had to be a craft event at the shower. So in addition to wonderful food, fun games, and a whopping pile of presents, everyone made me an adorable onesie! I have been to showers where you draw/paint on onesies and they usually turn out kind of ghetto except for the 1-2 extremely artistic people in attendance. These onesies, however, turned out awesome!

 

Instead of using paint or fabric markers we used this wonderful product that up until a few weeks ago I did not even know existed! Fabric mod podge! Shut the front door! I'm in love!
 

 The hostesses brought and assortment of fabric choices and stencils to help every one get creative. It was really a great craft for all levels of crafters. For the general crafter, using a stencil to trace and cut out a design worked well, like this car.


For those who were a little more unsure of themselves, there was some animal fabric that they could just cut out an animal and glue it on. My grandma picked this kangaroo and my aunt made the zebra/bee onesie.


 For the more advanced crafter, the sky is the limit. My sister free handed this adorable little necktie. I think it is one of my favorites! I call it his dressy onesie. :-)


 I did I hybrid of the stencil/free hand method. I used a sail boat stencil then free handed the word "boji" which is short for Okoboji the city where the shower was held. A little memento of the day.


I ended up coming home with a few unfinished onesies and the extra mod podge, so I can show you how it is done. The first step is to coat the back of the fabric with mod podge and let it dry. (At the show the hostesses had pre-mod podged all the fabric so it was ready to go.)


 Slip a piece of waxed paper between the layers of the onesie so that they don't stick together if things get goopy!


Spread a thin layer of mod podge  over the back of the design.



 Press on to the onesie. Be sure to get out any wrinkles or air bubbles.


You are all done! Be sure to wait 72 hours before you launder them. After the first wash there may be some edges that come unstuck, just reapply a little mod podge and they should be good to go after that!


A lot of work has been done to the nursery. Paint, paint, paint! I can't wait to post an update. Until then have fun making onesies!

3 comments:

  1. YEAH! I love that we made the blog!! Awesome. =) Danna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Thanks for the idea! So you need to use modge podge twice on the fabric?

    Thanks!

    Rupali
    rupalij@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever have problems with them coming off?

    ReplyDelete